Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Today's Spoils

Well after a long day scouting, I do have a funny story. After a week of hunting and stalking herds, and seeing them close, far and everywhere in between, we have come to learn you just see them when you do, where you do.

Well, this afternoon, we were out 100 miles into nowhere, literally, and came upon a herd after passing a ranch. They were on the BLM side, outside of the ranch fence. All the colors were right for the area. They were hot and placid, so we decided to stop. We carefully got out, and did our little "meet the wild horse" thing, and walked up pretty close. So far so good, they were tolerating us. We shot and shot, and crept in closer and closer.

I was thinking, these guys are really good, when I happened to look down and notice something. "Um Dad, we've been duped" I said as I noticed every one of them had shoes on.... :) NICE! We laughed and laughed at ourselves. SO I do have some great shots of some real nice ranch horses. Hmm, funny, in the excitement of spotting them, I never noticed saddle mark scars, and the big round rears and deep chests that are all tell tale signs of Quarterhorses. :)) Feeling stupid now, at least they didn't have bridle paths! About that time 2 of them walked up to me and demanded to be petted, sweet!

We did get to see some pelicans, who knew they were way out here, and other water birds, and antelope again. Here's some images of my "Not so wild" horses. I also added a couple sunset shots from last night at stinking water.




No comments: